Search: 2005, Paperback
Results 1 - 10 of 71
Reed L. Wadley
In light of the tremendous changes that have come to the island of Borneo in recent decades, this volume takes a detailed historical look at the Borneo environment from native, colonial and national perspectives. It examines change and continuity in the economic, political and social dimensions ...
Han ten Brummelhuis
King of the waters describes how a brilliant Dutch engineer ultimately failed to implement his plans for modern irrigation in Siam. Homan van der Heides identification with the interests of the rice farmers caused ambivalent reactions from his Siamese environment. Interwoven with the detailed ...
This study presents the text and first English translation of a Sumatran turi-turian or chanted epic called the tale of Datuk Tuongku Aji Malim Leman, the heros name. This is a famous southern Batak story from the town of Sipirok. The version at issue, in the Angkola Batak language, was ...
This social-anthropological study, focusing on urban Indonesia, examines a variety of financial self-help organizations (arisan and simpan pinjam) as instruments for dealing with financial difficulties related to illness, death, and unemployment. The author devotes ample attention to the ...
From the late seventeenth century until the Dutch conquest of the early twentieth Century Bali was ruled by a set of competing kingdoms. This study of the Balinese text Kidung Malat is the first work in Indonesian historical studies to analyse the main ideology of these Balinese kingdoms. It ...
S.N. Eisenstadt, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
This book attempts to analyze the civilizational and historical context of the development of the modern revolutions — of the Great Revolutions and of their relations to modernity, to the civilization of modernity, its dynamics and tribulations.
Sylvie-Anne Mériot. Translated by Trevor Cox and Chanelle Paul. Preface by André Grelon
Why is it that French chefs tend to develop a syndrome of professional nostalgia? Educated to work in the most prestigious restaurants, they soon discover another reality in common foodservices and are viewed as having made an egotistical professional choice. Regardless of the improvement in ...
Edited by Mattei Dogan, National Center of Scientific Research, Paris
The analysis focuses on the low esteem for politicians, their vulnerability, the concept of associated-rivals, the nexus-judges-journalists and the civil death of politicians under judicial investigations.
Edited by Mehdi Parvizi Amineh, International Institute for Asian Studies (IIAS), Leiden, Clingendael International Energy Programme (CIPE), The Hague, and University of Amsterdam and Henk Houweling, University of Amsterdam
This anthology brings together studies of post-colonial, post-Cold War, Central Eurasia. This part of the world is in transition to independent statehood, nation building and the release of market forces. The objective of the work is to better comprehend the process of state-nation building.
Guy G. Stroumsa
This book investigates the problem of esoteric traditions in early Christianity, their origin and their transformation in Patristic hermeneutics, in the West as well as in the East. It argues that these traditions eventually formed the basis of nascent Christian mysticism in Late ...
Click a term to refine your current search.
- African Studies - General (11)
- Art and Architecture - Art History (1)
- Asian Studies - China (1)
- Asian Studies - History (2)
- Asian Studies - Japanese Art (2)
- Asian Studies - Literature (5)
- Asian Studies - Social Sciences (3)
- Biblical Studies - General (1)
- Biblical Studies - Hebrew Bible (1)
- Biology - Nematology (1)
- Classical Studies - Ancient Philosophy (1)
- History - Jewish History & Culture (1)
- History - Modern History (1)
- Human Rights and Humanitarian Law - Children's Rights (6)
- Human Rights and Humanitarian Law - Health Law (1)
- Human Rights and Humanitarian Law - Human Rights (3)
- International Law - Comparative Law (1)
- International Law - International Organizations (2)
- International Law - Law of the Sea (2)
- International Law - Public International Law (1)
- Jewish Studies - General (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - General (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - History & Culture (1)
- Middle East and Islamic Studies - Sociology & Anthropology (1)
- Religious Studies - History of Religion (1)
- Social Sciences - Applied Social Sciences (2)
- Social Sciences - Asian Studies (2)
- Social Sciences - Comparative Social Sciences (4)
- Social Sciences - Critical Social Sciences (1)
- Social Sciences - Religion & Society (7)
- Social Sciences - Sociology & Anthropology (1)